Businesses reminded to be vigilant when using personal devices and social media
These risks include the misuse of personal devices, such as sharing confidential information via social media and other messaging apps.
It is essential that businesses have appropriate safeguards in place such as policies and procedures, to ensure staff are using these channels appropriately and to meet record keeping requirements under the Codes of Practice.
Examples of good practice include:
- Training for employees on induction, at regular intervals and on a change/update to the policies and procedures
- Consistent compliance with the policies and procedures demonstrated by directors and senior management
- Disciplinary action taken against breaches
- A culture of separation between business activities and social communications
- Minimising the use of colloquial language and/or emojis in communications relating to business activities.
For more information on best practice you can read the feedback from the 2020 Supervisory Risk Examinations published on 25 May 2021.