If you have concerns about your investments or the advice you have been given, in the first instance you should contact the provider which sold you the product(s)

If you are dissatisfied with the response then you may wish to contact the Channel Islands Financial Ombudsman / (01534) 748610 /

The JFSC cannot by law provide advice on financial services products, providers or investments. Our role is to license and supervise local firms

If you have concerns about the conduct of an adviser or a company, you can contact the JFSC’s Investment Business team on (01534) 822100 or by email

You can check whether a firm or adviser is licensed here